Eligibility for GATE 2021 is given from the official GATE organizing institute. It covers GATE eligibility for Engineering, MSc, MCA, and other students. It’s important for non Engineering degree students to Know eligibility for the GATE exam.
To know more about how many students write the GATE exam and Qualify each year do check GATE statistics. We at InI use this information to make the GATE score calculator, which converts GATE marks to scores for various years. For IIT GATE cutoffs, do refer to IIT GATE College Predictor & Cutoff for NIT, IIIT and other institute cutoffs (CCMT) refer to GATE College Predictor. These tools are free and don’t need user registration.
If you are preparing for GATE do download iStudy app for GATE Syllabus, previous year papers, GATE virtual calculator, GATE exam date counter, GATE score calculator, and more.
The following categories of candidates are Eligibility for GATE
- A candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program.
- A candidate who has already completed any government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible for appearing in the GATE 2022 exam.
- However, the candidates who possess certification from any of the professional societies must ensure that those examinations conducted by the societies are approved by MoE/AICTE/UGC/UPSC as equivalent to B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Arch. / B.Planning, etc.
- Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India: Must be currently in the 3rd or higher years or completed their Bachelor’s degree (duration: at least 3 years) in Engineering / Technology / Science / Arts / Commerce.
|Degree/Program||GATE Eligibility Criteria 2022|
|Description of Eligible Candidates||Expected Year of Completion|
|B.E. / B.Tech. / B. Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc. / Diploma in Engineering / Technology)||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed||2023|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree of Architecture (5- year course) / Naval Architecture (4- year course) / Planning (4- year course)||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed||2024 (for 5-year program), 2023 (for 4-year program)|
|B.Sc. (Research) / B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed||2023|
|Pharm. D. (after 10+2)||6 years degree program, consisting of internship or residency training, during third year onwards||Currently in the 3rd/4th/5th/6th year or already completed||2025|
|M.B.B.S./B.D.S.||Degree holders of M.B.B.S./B.D.S. and those who are in the 5th/6th/7th semester or higher semester of such programme.||5th, 6th, 7th or higher semester or already completed||2023|
|M. Sc. / M.A. / MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Arts/Science/Mathematics/Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the first year or higher or already Completed||2023|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (4-year program)||Currently in any year||any year|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech./M.Pharm or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5-year program)||Currently in the 3rd /4th/5th year or already completed||2024|
|B.Sc. / B.A. / B.Com.||Bachelor degree in any branch of Science / Arts / Commerce (3-year program)||Currently in the 3rd year or already completed||2022|
|Int. M.Sc. / Int. B.S. / M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or 5-year integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the 3rd year or higher or already completed||2023|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MoE/UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
Those criteria are given by the GATE official website. Let me elaborate on it for students’ by name of degrees.
GATE Eligibility for Other than Engineering Students
- 2nd and 3rd year MCA students are eligible for GATE.
- 1st and 2nd year MSc students are eligible for GATE based on qualifying degree.
- BSc. BCA and BCS (a three years degree) students are not eligible for GATE Exam.
- BSc. (Tech), a four years degree, final year students are eligible for GATE exam.
- B.Tech or BE integrated students are eligible from their third year of the integrated degree.
If you have any other degrees or have questions related to GATE eligibility, please feel free to drop a comment. This is a part GATE Exam info and preparation guide, which more GATE related posts to help students.
To subscribe by mail for the latest updates about GATE, M.Tech, and other engineering updates. Don’t forget to be a fan on Facebook to get updates on Facebook.
We wish you great luck with your decisions.