1. Ask any difficulties about Engg Materials, Casting, Forming, Joining, Machining, Metrology, CIM, Production (Planning & control, Inventory control, OR etc.) here.. Let help others & get helped from others also. What do you think?

1. can anybody solve this.

Mg casting with a volume to surface ratio(casting modolus)of 0.1m is made by gravity casting. heat transfer coefficient at the metal mould interface is 1.9KJ/m^2 K s . the density and melting point of the Mg are 1700 kg/m^3 and 923K. assume ambient temperature to be 293K.
        a)if the solidification time is 50s. the latent heat of fusion in KJ/mol is
        b)in a spiral channel of 10mm dia and with an entrance flow velcity of 300mm/s , the fluidty of the melt in mm is

1. first of all sorry for such long delay 🙁
        Anyway I think the data given is incomplete in this question that’s why now I am giving u only formulas:
        a) For Latent heat calculate “B” from the formula as:
        t = B * [(Casting modulus)^n]
        where,
        t = Solidification Time (given)
        B = Mold Constant
        n = 1.5 to 2 (Take 2 if not given)
        Then after finding “B” calculate Latent heat as:

B = {[(ρm*L)/(Tm-T0)]^2}*{[3.1428/(4*K*ρ*C)]}*{1+[(Cm*ΔTs)/L]}

Where,
        Tm = melting or freezing temperature of the liquid
        To = initial temperature of the mold
        ΔTs = Tpour − Tm = superheat
        L = latent heat of fusion
        K = thermal conductivity of the mold
        ρ = density of the mold
        C = specific heat of the mold
        ρm = density of the metal
        Cm = specific heat of the metal

b) For Fluidity of Short Freezing Range Alloys the formula is,
        Fluidity Distance, Lf = V * t

where,
        V = flow velocity
        t = solidification time

If the data is not given in the problem then take any appropriate material & take respective data & put it in formula… 🙂

Well I don’t think this kind of question can be asked in GATE; if asked then it should be deserve 10 marks lol …
        Hope this could satisfied you a bit…. … .. .

1. In a multi pass drawing operation, a round bar of 10 mm diameter and 100 mm length is reduced in cross section by drawing it successively through a series of seven dies of decreasing diameter. During each of these drawing operation, the reduction in cross-sectional area is 35%. The yield strength of the material is 200 MPa. Ignore strain hardening.
        The total true strain and final length ?
        Neglecting friction and redundant work, the force in (kN) required for drawing through first die?

1. @Dinesh: Ok I wants to say that I am not too good in this Forming section but still I will try to solve this; Lets see how much can I help you !!!
        Say, Original c/s Area = O.A.
        Final c/s Area = F.A.
        Area After First Die = A1
        Original Length = O.L.
        Final Length = F.L.
        Now O.A. = (pi/4)*(10^2) = 78.5398 mm2
        A1 = (1-0.35)*(O.A.) = 0.65*(O.A.) = 51.0508 mm2
        Similarly for the area after 7th die
        = 0.65*0.65*0.65*0.65*0.65*0.65*0.65*(O.A.) … .. (For 7 dies)
        = (0.65)^7 * (O.A.)
        = 3.8502 mm2 = F.A.
        Now, as True strain is instantaneous % of change in length of specimen & it is given by,
        True strain (TS) = Natural log of (O.A./F.A.)
        = ln (78.5398/3.8502)
        = 3.0155 ———————————–ANS
        Final length can be calculated by using constant volume principle as,
        Initial Volume = Final Volume
        (O.A.)*(O.L.) = (F.A.)*(F.L.)
        78.5398 * 100 = 3.8502 * F.L.
        F.L. = 2039.8888
        = 2040 mm ————————————-ANS
        Now, For force we have to calculate a Draw Stress after first die,
        using uniform energy deformation method,
        Draw Stress (D.S.) = Y * ln(O.A./A1) …… … (Y = Yield Strength)
        (Note this formula can be used for only Ideal Conditions i.e. neglecting friction and redundant work)
        Hence, D.S. = 200 * ln (78.5398/51.0508)
        = 86.1568 N/mm2
        Now, Drawing Force through first die is,
        Drawing Force (F) = (D.S.)*(A1)
        = 86.1568 * 51.0508
        = 4398.3735 N
        = 4.4 kN ———————————ANS

Note: Please check the answers & do notify in reply. If possible then mention the answers (options) along with the questions.

1. Please suggest me books that contains problems on manufacturing processes like forming, forging, drawing, casting, punching etc. I have P N Rao’s book which elaborates very good theory but it does not have enough no of solved problems 🙁 Please suggest me any book name or if anybody has a soft-copy then give me link….

1. Ritesh Das

yaar chetan…i’m also going thru the same problem…i dont know from where i can prepare problems in production!!…and this forging section will ruin my life…!!!..its just so deep…deep drawing,rolling,forging,bending..etc..etc..the equations given in the book arent very useful for the examination!!!…

1. Ritesh, Please inform me if u got some information about any book or any website where we can get some quality information for this section…

1. Ritesh Das

yeah sure..i’ll inform u…as of now i’m just referring PN rao…

1. Chetan…Thanks..Actually this problem was in gate 2011 paper..production and industrial engineering..

Sorry I forgot to give option..
        Your Answers are right..

These maybe a good books

Forming- Engineering Metallurgy…DIETER,
        Production Engineering….P.C. Sharma(Problems)

and also check other forming operations…..

Have a good day…

1. @chetan- which books do you reffer for forming?

1. Ritesh Das

thanks dinesh!!!….PC sharma has enough problems??….please reply soon thanks..:)

1. @ritesh- ya PC Sharma production engineering..not technology…..they have given a full analysis of metal forming

btw what is your gate discipline??

1. Thanks Dinesh for giving out book names, I am trying to get these books & I will reply on it soon…
        The “Scribd” web-link is also good.
        Did you know How to download the documents from Scribd by the way?

1. @Dinesh, Right now I have P N Rao’s “Manufacturing Technology” book for this section!!!
        Also I have some notes from various books; one of my professor given those notes to me 🙂

1. @chetan- do you have facebook account?…just login with faceook account on scribd

after they ask for uploading document….so upload any document(which is in kb) or make notepad file of anything and upload it..:-)

then u can download any document

and also in that scribd link there are other sublinks of forming. So u can get all forming processes documents

1. Ritesh Das

@dinesh…i am a mechanical engineer..:)

1. @Dinesh; Thanks Dinesh. Downloaded the doc successfully. It is good presentation about forming process.
        Nice trick btw 🙂

1. @dinesh,do u have some good links like the one you gave for forging?The forging link was really good.

1. @ganesh- on which topics do u require a links???

1. @chetan- have u done a problem on gating, risering, solidification on casting……
        & how to calculate size of riser with the data given of shrinkage volume..???

1. links for casting and metal forming would be really helpful.

1. @dinesh,thanks a lot,man.How do you even get these sort of links,they are very good.
        So,again,thanks a lot.

1. @Dinesh, Sorry for late in reply 🙁
        If you are talking about problems on casting then I don’t think I have done enough. I am still concentrated more on studying. However I will start practicing problems in coming days (probably after 15th Jan).
        How you are going by the way????

Now if volume shrinkage is present in metal, then we have to compensate the shrank volume with the riser.
        So try to equate volumes or areas to get the size.

1. @Dinesh,
        As Ganesh said earlier, the link provided by you is really excellent!!!!
        Thanks for sharing it with us bro …
        SHARING IS CARING 🙂

1. @chetan- my branch is pi.. so i am more concentrating on metal forming,casting,welding etc…and industrial engineering…
        from which book you will solve the numerical???

1. @Dinesh:
        I will solve from these sources:
        1. Manufacturing Technology by PN Rao
        2. Fundamentals Modern Manufacturing by Groover
        3. Previous years GATE QPs

About the two books:
        Both books have various problems but most of them are unsolved (you can find practice problems after the chapter ends!)
        Groover has some quality question with good theory explanation & some Multiple Choice Questions also.

You can search for some tutorials given on Internet(I hope they are!!!).

1. Ritesh Das

@chetan…yeah i am also doing the same…PN rao is good for manufacturing…and chetan there is one mistake in that book..average cutting shear strain = cot(shear angle)+ tan(shear angle – rake angle)….but in that book its given average cutting shear strain = cot(shear angle-rake angle)+ tan(rake angle)…so those who r studying from pn rao must note this…!!!

1. @Ritesh, thanks for sharing this :))

1. which book is to refer for solving numerical on welding(metal joining) process…???? (arc length and power calculation, duty cycle, heat generated etc…)

1. @Dinesh, If you feels that the problems given in reference books(PN Rao, Grover’s) are not enough in anyway then you can collect some practice problems from some recognized institute’s NOTES like GATE-Forum, TARGate, Ace Academy from say your friends or teachers for the topics you have mentioned.

BEST LUCK FOR UR STUDIES !!!!

1. Hi to all, I m a student of production engg, 3rd year, NIT Trichy.. I want to opt gate 2013, but i have doubt whether i shud write gate from ME or from PI so as to get job in PSUs… i dnt want to do M.tech.. i m willing to write gate just for PSUs.. and i know it is dificult to study whole mech subjects as i m from prod branch but also der will not b many psu companies who will accept prod engg so help me.. what should i do?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.