1. Mousumi Dhar

Hello! Its a place for those who are appearing in GATE 2012 for jobs in various organizations.

1. Hip Pocket

As much as I know,apart 4rm IOCL nobody is hiring CS students through GATE-12.And even in IOCL I dont know what are the prospects of cs students.

1. Hey friends……First of all I would like to wish You a very happy and heartwarming DIWALI….
        Myself Dipankar Shyam working in a small IT company(But good salary) and definately not satisfied with this Job/Kind of work and planning to resign.Thats why I have beeen preparing for GATE-2012 and hoping for somthing good. Well my point is…..Am I going in the right path???
        Well I have always been an AVERAGE(sometimes below average)student. But pursuing M. Tech from one of the best colleges/University is my biggest dream(at this point of my life)…So , please advise on this..Whether I should go with my dreams or face the reality and try to earn big bucks in this same field????

1. @ Dipankar Shyam its simple, go hard for GATE 2012. if u get IITs or NITs go for d higher education else u r already earming some bucks…

1. Inspire N Ignite
        Participant

Please start a new topic for your questions otherwise we would be confused and have to use @ for addressing the specific question.

1. Harsh Khatri

@ Dipankar Shyam i am starting to prepair for gate now and we can study together, setting targets , monitoring each other, finding resources etc ,, mail me if you are interested : [email protected]

1. Gate Cse

HI FRIENDS THOSE WHO ARE BELIEVING IN SELF STUDY PLZ CHECK THIS PAGE HERE U GET ALL KIND OF INFO ABOUT HOW TO PREPARE FOR GATE,WHAT ARE THE STRATEGY AND TRICKS , DIRECT FROM TOPPERS, CHECK EACH BLOG CAREFULLY
        HERE
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/GATE-Computer-Science/287782614585176

1. Anusha Kurra

hiee everyone.. i have question in o.s i.e hw to find dead lock free.the question is

a computer has 6 tape drives with N process competing for them.. each process need 2 drives… then the max value for N to b deadlock free is??????
        plzz temme hw to find solution for this

1. Lorin Ahmed

@ Anusha,
        Your Ques:A computer has 6 tape drives with N process competing for them.. each process need 2 drives… then the max value for N to b deadlock free is??????

Answer: first of all we need to know that what causes a deadlock?? When several process hold their resources and wait for more resources for completion, we cannot preempt the resources they hold hold unless they complete…But the resources they are waiting for are held by some other process which are again waiting for some resource which are held by some other process, and when this form a cycle… We can be sure that all the process will keep on waiting for the resources which are already held by some other resource and thus, All of the process will wait forever and Thus DEADLOCKED.

The Ques says there are total of 6 tape drives(resource) and n processes where each require 2 drives… thus for the system to be deadlock free, the total no. of process should not be such that it forms a hold and wait cycle… Suppose we have max n=6 i.e. 6 process then, what can happen is each process holding 1 drive and waiting for the 2nd drive to complete execution, but since no extra drive is left, and no process will pre empt the resource they are holding b4 they complete, all the process will wait forever and thus will be in deadlock… While if we take max n=5 , In the worst situation each process will have 1 tape drive but still there will be an extra tape drive left, which any of the 5 process can use and complete releasing both of the tape drives it needed… Thus the system will never go into deadlock… So the answer of your question is
        n=5.

I m bad in explaining things, i tried my best.. Hope you understood. 🙂

1. Lorin Ahmed

And guys please ask more doubts in this community, i love asking and clearing doubts..

1. Anusha Kurra

yea.. i kinda got it but wen i apply the same logic to some pblms i am not able to find solution .. so plz hlp me with following pblms
        A computer has 11 tape drives with N process competing for them.. each process need 3 drives… then the max value for N to b deadlock free is??????
        A computer has 6 tape drives with N process competing for them.. each process need 3 drives… then the max value for N to b deadlock free is??????

1. Ajay Kumar

its simple formula :
        N*D<R+N where N= total number of processes , D= each process need
        R= resoures available
        so in this problem N= 'N' number of processes
        D=3 and R=6
        so N*3<6+N
        so 3N<6+N by solving this equation u will get
        2N N<3
        therefore N should be 2
        u can aply this formula for other GATE 1998 CS and GATE 2005 CS

1. Ajay Kumar

u can use this formula for ur previous problem also…..

1. Ajay Kumar

its simple formula :
        N*D<R+N where N= total number of processes , D= each process need
        R= resoures available
        so in this problem N= 'N' number of processes
        D=3 and R=6
        so N*3<6+N
        so 3N<6+N by solving this equation u will get
        2N<6 therefore N<3 so N should be less than 3 so N=2

1. Lorin Ahmed

Thanx Ajay, You teached us such a simple formulae for solving this kinda question.. Actually, i find it difficult to memorize formulae’s thats why i try to solve most of the questions by logic. Anyways it depends on person to person. 🙂

1. Anusha Kurra

An operating system contains 3 user processes each requiring 2 units of resource R .The minimum number of units of R such that no deadlocks will ever arise is
        ans is given as 4 . i want the solution to solve this??????

if we apply the formulae in the other link

then 3*2<3+R
        6<3+R
        3<R
        SO CHOICES ARE GIVEN AS FOLLOWS 4,5,6
        the above three options are satisfies so how can we knw 4 is the right answer

1. Ajay Kumar

@Anusha : here they are asking minimum number of R so its obviously 4 only in ur choice in the list (4, 5,6)

1. Anusha Kurra

heyy for the problem u solved on the other day
        A computer has 6 tape drives with N process competing for them.. each process need 3 drives… then the max value for N to b deadlock free is??????
        u solved using that formulae…which was 2
        but correct answer is 3.

if any 1 knw the solution fot this plzz tell the solution

1. Ajay Kumar

can u tell me how did u get this 3 as the correct answer ..
        OR in which book did u seen this answer? so that i will check there is one more formula
        related to this type of problem in GATE CS 1993 paper S<(m+n) where s = max requirement of all processes
        m = number of resources
        n = number of processes

1. Anusha Kurra

what is the output if fn(7) is called?
        fn(int v)
        {
        if(v==1||v==0)
        return 1;
        elseif(v%2==0)
        return fn(v/2)+5;
        else
        return fn(v-1)+3;
        }
        i think ans is 17.is it correct

1. yaa…its 17,,,,

1. if any one has soft copy of mcq’s in comp.science by timothy j.williams..please send it to my mail…. [email protected]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.