1. Prashant

Hie,

Just read the post “Am I Really Suitable For Doing PhD?” and the answer is NO. I dont have a desire to learn more and more, contribute to scientific development etc.Also I dont want to live a life by spending most time is labs,correcting wikipedia entries, reading journels,writing papers,increasing publication count etc. I believe teaching is something that I can be good at and suits , as a career , for me.

But to excel in academic career , hike in salary , growth one needs a phd. This is why I want to do phd . I know a lecturer who, after 10 years, is doing external phd. I want to do it after completion of my mtech. Presently I am in 1st sem of m.tech.

I do not wish to do phd from a very good place like the iisc, jnscar, igib etc. I think these institutes are for those who want to do hard core research unlike me.

Can you let me know the places from where phd can be completed with in 3-3.5 years(u r an exception) and are descent institutes so that research career option is still open(lightening can strike anytime!)

Also what is the difference in the pay scale of a Mr. XYZ and Dr. XYZ as a professor?

1. Zahid

Nice discussions you pitched here.

1. Stay for a while and think why do they ask for a phd to teach? Most of the people do phd also dont know why they are doing it : )
        The original idea is to make a better teacher. If you invent thats great but if you learn a subject in depth you can teach students to that depth.
        Just reading from book and teaching (mostly these days even teachers dont know what are they teaching).
        Otherwise teaching become just a medium to make money rather than a pleasure to transfer knwoldge.

2. You can only finish phd in short time from a great institute. They have the gutts to defend your work and power to protect the value of their degree. In normal universities it takes more time because they dont know when to say your work is done and there are lots of useless procedures.

3. Mr. X can not became Prof. without PhD and there is a three band difference between these two salaries. Without a phd in acads you can never reach a good point in salary. Yes you can make more money by taking tutions outside, if you get popular.

Hope I answered all ques.

Wish you a great luck ahead.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.