Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology Laboratory detailed syllabus for Environmental Engineering (Env) for 2021 regulation curriculum has been taken from the Anna University official website and presented for the Env students. For course code, course name, number of credits for a course and other scheme related information, do visit full semester subjects post given below.
For Environmental Engineering 4th Sem scheme and its subjects, do visit Env 4th Sem 2021 regulation scheme. The detailed syllabus of environmental chemistry and microbiology laboratory is as follows.
- To train in the analysis of physico-chemical parameters with hands on experience
- To train the students in the analysis of various microbiological techniques, microbiological analysis, enzyme assay, pollutant analysis and operation of bioreactors.
A: Environmental Chemistry
- Estimation of hardness in Water sample by volumetric titration
- Estimation of Chloride in Water sample by volumetric titration
- Determination of sulphate
- Determination of phosphate
- Determination of Total Solids, Total suspended solids, Total dissolved solids
- Determination of COD in the wastewater sample
- Determination of BOD in the wastewater sample
B: Environmental Microbiology
- Preparation of culture media
- Isolation and Culturing of Microorganisms
- Gram Staining of bacteria
- Bacteriological analysis of wastewater (Coliforms & Streptococcus) – MPN Technique
- Bacteriological analysis of wastewater (Coliforms & Streptococcus MF technique
- Analyze the water quality parameters such as hardness chloride and sulphate
- Characterize the wastewater parameters like phosphate, solids COD and BOD
- Prepare culture media necessary for microbial growth
- Isolate and culture the bacteria – identify the bacteria -able to handle microscope
- Analyze the coliform count in the wastewater.
- APHA, “Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater”, 23rd Ed. Washington, 2017
- “Laboratory Manual for the Examination of water, wastewater soil, Rump, H.H. and Krist, H. – Second Edition, VCH, Germany, 3rd Edition, 1999.
- Charles P. Gerba, “Environmental Microbiology: A laboratory manual”, Elsevier Publications, 3rd, 2014
Note: The average value of this course to be used for program articulation matrix.
For detailed syllabus of all other subjects of Environmental Engineering, 2021 regulation curriculum do visit Env 4th Sem subject syllabuses for 2021 regulation.
For all Environmental Engineering results, visit Anna University Env all semester results direct link.